Welcome to Okeechobee County Schools
It is the mission of the School District of Okeechobee County to prepare all students to be college and career ready and to function as productive citizens.
There is strong evidence that the faculty, staff, parents, and students are making substantial progress in fulfilling this mission. Here are a few of our accomplishments:
- Over 70% of our parents participated in our Academic Parent Teacher Teams. This program is designed to promote active engagement of parents in academic preparation as opposed to simply visiting school.
- We increased our graduation rate by 5% over last year. It is at its highest point in five years.
- Our students earned over 271 career and technical industry certifications in 2014-15. This represents a 160% increase.
- Financially, we are sound with a conservative fund balance, multiple schools having perfect audits, and have offered the most significant employee raises in many years to recruit and retain great teachers and staff.
- Within the last year, the District has been recognized as a Florida Healthy School District Silver Award winner, in the top five of small districts reducing juvenile crime, and has been showcased by Google and WestEd in Blogs and journals for using technology and involving parents respectively.
- We have partnerships with many stakeholders that offer mentoring, counseling, scholarships, etc., so that we can address the whole child to improve their academic, social and emotional health.
- Our fine arts, career, and athletic programs have won many competitions and are a force to be reckoned at all levels local through national.
- Academically, we have several subject areas in which our teachers exceeded the state average on standardized test when using the value added model.
Despite these accomplishments, there is still more work to be done. We encourage you to explore this website to learn more about the Strategic Plan and how we will continue to improve and prepare all students for the future.
It is a pleasure to serve this community, and we ask that you visit, volunteer, sponsor, and mentor so that you can help us Achieve Excellence by Putting Students First.
Superintendent of Schools